Friday, July 27, 2012

Mini Breakfast Casseroles for Any Day of the Week

"Waste not, want not." - common idiom

Okay, so this isn't a biblical quote, but it seems like sound reasoning to me. I find myself with a heap of tomatoes and not enough ways to use them up. I know I can freeze some for later, and I will, but I had one odd ball that wouldn't fit into the tomato pie last night and I didn't want to blanch, peel, and freeze just one little ol' pup. Instead, I diced him, and tucked him into four little egg casseroles. Now I can enjoy him three more times (since I ate one casserole up this morning) and feel good about not being wasteful.

Mini Breakfast Casseroles


             One mini casserole and a side of yogurt and honey make a complete breakfast for me.

Step One:


Preheat oven to 350.

Pop two pieces of whole wheat toast or Ezekiel bread into the toaster. Gather your ingredients and prep them. You need:

Four eggs, beaten
One piece of American Cheese torn into four pieces
One chopped tomato, salted
Four tablespoons of feta cheese


Step 2: Assemble




Cut the four pieces of toast and tuck them into the bottoms of the mini loaf tins.

Top each with 1/4 slice of American Cheese.




Place 1/4 of the chopped tomato in each loaf tin.


Pour 1/4 of beaten egg mixture over each loaf tin.


Top each tin with 1 tablespoon feta cheese. Then bake for 20 minutes or until eggs are set.


These can be held in the refrigerator for a few days and reheated in the oven or microwave as needed. I prefer to heat the oven to 350, and pop them in to heat while I feed the dogs and cat, get my morning coffee, and serve up a side of plain greek yogurt with honey. It's a well balanced breakfast of whole grain, protein, and vegetable and fills me up until lunch time!

Variations - I use a small amount of America cheese because it give a little creaminess to it, but Laughing Cow wedges would serve the same purpose. You can use cheeses of your choice - just experiment. Also, play around with your veggies - add last night's asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, or whatever else sounds good. If you don't like the consistency of the bread on the bottom, leave it out. Then you can put the baked eggs between two slices of toast and make a sandwich out of them!


Enjoy!










3 comments:

  1. did you leave your plants right in thier containers? I want to one of these for inside my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything was replanted into the larger containers. The succulents have thrived even through freezing temps (although we don't freeze for more than 10 hours at a time around here.) The mandevilla did not do well in the Louisiana heat. I tried a new one the next year and it, too, failed. I'm looking for a new heat tolerant trellis plant for that planter. Good luck with whatever you decide. The succulents are practically carefree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoy your blog! These look delicious. I'm new on blogger and looking to connect with like-minded bloggers

    ReplyDelete